About The Partnership
In September 2016, Belt and Road Green Development Partnership was launched to provide policy recommendations for sustainable development under the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) by bringing together Chinese and international think tanks, environmental NGOs, and foundations. The Partnership aims to fulfill the goals set by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Paris Agreement, focusing on issues of ecological protection, climate change, energy transition, green finance, and industry cooperation. By working with the international community to promote sustainable development under BRI, this Partnership hopes to help China leverage and improve its leadership in global green governance.
The Partnership plays a role in:
- Providing an enabling environment for participating institutions to facilitate extensive exchanges on green development of BRI;
- Facilitating experts to provide professional guidance on the topics under BRI;
- Submitting research results and policy recommendations to relevant departments and agencies to maximize the usability and impact of BRI outcomes;
- Expanding cooperative partnerships with institutions at home and abroad to enhance China’s international influence in environmental and climate change governance.
Promote the implementation of the Paris Agreement and the achievement of the United Nations 2030 Sustainable Development Goals
- Use BRI as an opportunity to develop China’s capacity for green governance and to build a foundation for the joint consultation and development of BRI;
- Facilitate the sustainable, balanced, and inclusive development of different countries around the world. Help China improve its green leadership through global cooperation and development for BRI;
- Build a diverse, multilayered, and effective exchange partnership to promote cross-sectoral dialogue and cooperation, and to build consensus among multiple stakeholders.